Sunday, April 4, 2010

Renewal 2010

The Renewal show was a blast. Saw some great art, ate some great food (lemon squares = Mmmmm), met some peeps. Oh, and I passed out some free art (alright, so technically I passed out business cards, but they had free sketches on the back) - Wanna see 'um?



Limited edition! They might theoretically be worth something someday (which is a nice way of saying they're worthless now). But they're pretty, at least. Nothing like a little sharpie action to brighten up the day.

I always try to have some free art to give out at shows I attend so that people can have a little piece of me without paying for it. That way, they get a cool souvenir and my art gets out there into the world. Even if it just winds up in a drawer or taped to their fridge... I mean, in their "private collection."

Everyone seemed to like the catchphrase that was printed on the other side:
Christopher Baird
"I draw things for money"
And by "liked," I mean "smirked sarcastically at," but it's nice to bring a smile to someone's face, at least.

On a related note, my Portable Gallery was a big hit, if I may say so. One individual asked politely to take my picture, and everyone else just held up their cellphones when they thought I wasn't looking. Wearing your work is a hell of an icebreaker, though. I got approached by many interesting people (and only one of them was drunk!) And I got to show so much more work than I would've otherwise. I'm gonna try to make my Gallery a traveling exhibit if I can find the time - maybe walk the boardwalk at Virginia Beach sometime.

Alright, enough talking about me. The Renewal show was crawling with great work, and I got to see some familiar faces from my college days - John Roth, Heather Bryant, Mallory Jarrell, the list goes on. I'd like to take the time to pimp their sites here, because their work really is worth your time:

Heather

John Roth

(Heather and John's sites haven't been updated in awhile, but they're full of delicious images. Pass them up at your peril).

Mallory

Mallory actually had a piece up at the show that I kept coming back to over and over, but I didn't even realize SHE had done it until I saw an image of it on her website, because it's so different from the stuff she did in college. But it's good different - really professional and mature collage work. She's got stuff for sale at her site and she does commissions. If I wasn't broke, I'd definately get one myself.

Lastly, for those who couldn't make it to the show, there's a gallery of some of the work on AltDaily Here. (Mallory is one of the featured artists!)

There's also a nice little article at hamptonroads.com that has some more images Here.

My piece wasn't featured in either article, but I cannot be defeated so easily:



Peace out, internet!

1 comment:

  1. I really want to go to the Art Show on Maine here but I'm not really sure where it is. A stranger told me it's really good though.

    ReplyDelete