Friday, July 29, 2011

Generational Resurgence of Cultural... Stuff

That last micropost was fun, wasn't it?
Let's have another.

My mom used to watch a science show called Mr. Wizard.

I grew up later, and watched a science show called Bill Nye the Science Guy (and also Beakman's World, but that show wasn't as widely known, being Canadian).

For the current generation of children, the designated "guys who make science un-boring" are the Mythbusters.

I find two things about this trend interesting- first, the fact that each generation essentially repackages the same information in different wrappers that reflect the sensibilities of the time (Bill Nye's show now seems like a perfect time capsule of "the 90's" to me).
The second thing I find interesting is that only one science show per generation achieves enough popularity to be culturally relevant. There have been many more science shows over the years, but very few appear capable of making the general public give a crap about science - a topic which is inherently fascinating, yet extremely easy for teachers to make dull and elitist.

It just occurred to me that I forgot to give props to the Magic Schoolbus. Fortunately, thanks to the timeless junk drawer that is the internet, there is a cumulative build-up of quality content. Bill Nye remains strangely watchable, and I honestly can't imagine Mythbusters ever seeming dated or boring to a future audience. The first episode features a remotely-controlled Impala with a jet engine welded to the roof, ferchrissake.

No comments:

Post a Comment